Anita is frantic. Her friends will soon be reaching her place and she’s still not sure what to order. She debates between Chicken Biryani and Chicken Fried Rice, and then on a whim goes for Chicken Biryani. As she picks up her mobile phone and opens the Swiggy App, she wonders how many people love chicken biryani the way she does.
Here is news for Anita, according to Swiggys’ 2018 statistics (better known as
India orders a whopping 17 Chicken Biryanis every minute
Chicken Biryani is the most preferred meal option across the country. In fact, it is loved so much that Indians will eat it all day long, including at festivals, lunches, dinners and even at snack time.
Second choice – Chicken Fried Rice
Beaten only by another Chicken cousin, comes the Chicken Fried Rice, the second largest item to be ordered after Chicken Biryani.
For the vegetarian guests – any guesses?
Anita orders roti and paneer butter masala. Once again, she unknowingly chose one of the most popular items on the Swiggy App.
Sweet cravings anyone?
Tender coconut ice cream tops the chart of the most preferred ice creams ordered. And November 2018 happens to be the month India ordered the most sweets.
India declares National Foods
Based on record-breaking numbers of orders in 2018 by food lovers, Indians celebrated:
- National Biryani Day 2018– October 28th
- National Sweet Craving Day 2018– November 18th (highest orders of Cupcakes & Ice-cream)
- National Pizza Day 2018– October 19th
- National Dosa Day 2018 – November 23rd
- National Doughnut Day 2018– November 25th
Earliest order – 6am, last order – 4.37am
Early one morning, at 6am in Coimbatore, one early bird is hungry and wonders if Swiggy delivers food this early. To his surprise, he finds breakfast options and places an order, making his, the earliest order placed on the Swiggy app. On the other hand, at the opposite end of the country, late one night (or should we say early one morning), someone in Delhi fires up an order at 4.37 am, making this the last order to be placed.
Chinese food orders beat Beijing’s population @ 2.18 crores!
PYM (Plan Your Meals)
Bangalore, Hyderabad and Kolkata prefer to plan their orders before they change their minds. Sometimes 36 hours in advance via Swiggy Scheduled!
How do you think Junk foods fared on India’s radar?
Across the country, most searched for items on Swiggy included foods like pizza, burger and cake.
While on the other hand, Indians in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai embraced mindful eating, with healthy and single-serve meals packed in eco-friendly packaging. These 3 cities topped the list in ordering the healthiest foods online.
Eat to live or live to eat?
But what happens after the healthy food arrives? Well, that’s another story. Indians don’t mind sacrificing a few calories here and there, for the sake of dessert or while celebrating festivals! For example, during Durga Puja, orders for Mishti Doi and Kalakand grew drastically. Furthermore, popular items like Laddu and Karanji saw a whopping 400% increase during Ganesh Chaturthi. Holi was not left far behind, with sales of Gujia increasing nearly 10 times during this festive week.
Swiggy for everyone
India’s cuisine is as varied and delightful as it is unique to each city. The lowest priced order on the Swiggy menu stands at Rs.10 and the highest at nearly Rs.38,000.
A country of contradictions
India, on the one
Here’s summing up the Top of the 2018 Food Charts
(with just one thing in common across the years – India’s love for food)
- India’s most searched food item on Swiggy: Pizza, Chicken, Burger and Cake
- Most ordered dishes: Chicken Biryani, Masala Dosa, Paneer Butter Masala, Mutton Biryani, Chicken Fried Rice, Tandoori Chicken and Dal Makhani
- Favourite international Cuisines: Chinese, continental, and Italian dishes
favoritestarters: Chicken 65, Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Lollipop and Veg Manchurian
- Top breakfast items: Masala Dosa, Idli, Vada, Plain Dosa, Poori, Pongal, Poha and Upma
- Top Lunch items: Chicken Biryani, Mutton Biryani, Veg Biryani, Paneer Butter Masala, Masala Dosa, Chicken Fried Rice, Veg Fried Rice and Curd Rice.
- Top Dinner items: Chicken Biryani, Paneer Butter Masala, Tandoori Chicken, Dal Makhani, Chicken Fried Rice, Mutton Biryani, Kadai Paneer and Veg Fried Rice
- Top Snack items: Chicken Biryani, Pav Bhaji, French Fries, Masala Dosa, Samosa, Vada Pav. Chicken Fried Rice, Garlic Breadsticks
- Top late-night items: Chicken Biryani, Chicken Fried Rice, Dal Makhani, Tandoori Chicken, French Fries, Jeera Rice, Kadai Paneer and Butter Chicken
All this talk about food makes one hungry. Time to fire up your Swiggy app and order something nice? Junk or Healthy, what’s your choice?